Just a couple of quick question for you today…
- If you had to pick a song to be your theme song for who you are today (or where you are today), what would that song be?
- If you had to pick a song to be your theme song for who you WANT to be (or where you WANT to be in the future), what would that song be?
This light-hearted question was asked today in one of the Facebook groups to which I belong. I thought it was an intriguing question.
The first song that popped into my head was “It’s a Beautiful Morning.” I could hear the opening words of the song in my head immediately upon reading that question.
It struck me as a rather odd song to pull out of nowhere because
- The only words I could remember were the title
- It was not morning when I read the question (and things at work were not feeling particularly beautiful)
- The last time I had been outside, there was icy/rain falling on me
But this song, performed by The Rascals in 1968–I was only 5-years when the song was released–resonated with me as my song for both today and my future. In fact, it has now been playing off and on in my head for most of the afternoon and evening.
Music is powerful. Music changes people’s lives. And as Eric Church sings in his song “Springsteen,” it’s “funny how a melody sounds like a memory.” Music is part of our individual history, it’s part of our culture. Music influences who we are.
What songs are your theme songs for who you are today and who you want to be tomorrow? What songs pop into your mind and which ones come to mind later? I’m really curious! Please share them in the comments box below. 🙂